Tuesday, March 6, 2012

When to splurge and when to save: BEAUTY PRODUCTS

With the economy the way it is it's been hard for a lot of other ladies to afford the prestige cosmetics we used to be able to afford.  I've been through times where it's been hard to make ends meet and this is how i managed to still use great quality makeup in a more cautious matter.

MASCARA is something that needs to be replaced monthly.. Buying mascara from Sephora or deparment stores costs about $20-$30 for a tube.. At the drugstores they range from $6-$15.  I think it's easy to find good qualities in a large amount of nail polishes.  Therefore, I think you're fine to buy your mascara from a drug store regularly and save up to $20!
I am willing to spend $$/$$$$$ on mascara

LIPSTICK/LIPGLOSSES This can vary- I can't speak for anyone.  Personally, I don't use much on my lips- when i do it's rare and it's a trendy thing.. I know Lancome has tubes of lipstick that can be as expensive as $24-$32 per tube, where as at the drug store i've bought tubes of Maybelline and Rimmel for $8.. I personally go for drug store prices when it comes to lip products to save money when i'm trying to cut back my spendings.
I am willing to spend $$$/$$$$$ on my lip products


BLUSH/BRONZERS This can really vary.  I never stay with a certain bronzer- i have, and i do usually keep it in stock but i'm always trying new bronzers and blushes.  When it comes to achieving the perfect glow, I shop everywhere from the drug stores, to beauty stores, to department stores- It's something that i personally love venturing out and trying all sorts of new things!
I am willing to spend everything from $-$$$$$/$$$$$ on bronzers and blushes!

PRIMERS This is something that i would usually suggest splurging on but now that i've found 2 amazing primers at my local Rite Aid this past month- i'm going to say either way! I think a primer is something that's a very personal choice - everyone has a different skin type and i can understand if you need to splurge for something you really like or if you find something budget-friendly that's great too! ( I really recommend Maybelline's age rewind primer, I reviewed it in my Beauty Haul post a few weeks back ).
i am willing to spend $$$$$/$$$$$ on primers!

FOUNDATION -- SPLURGE, SPLURGE! I think that everything from shades, formulas, spf, etc.. It's a lot to find yourself in a drug store if your not properly educated on finding skin products.  If you do know how ti find your shade and you find a product that you love at your drug store i highly recommend and encourage you to continue buying that product.  I personally would rather spend $40 on foundation at a counter where it's been matched to my skin tone, and i've been given samples of different formulas to try then to spend $10 at the drugstore, but i've had to do it before and since then i've become quite well at it! Luckily drug stores are now giving 100% beauty guarntee's and you are allowed to bring back any product if you don't like it within a certain amount of days -- so take advantage of that ladies!
I typically spend $$$$/$$$$$ on foundation.


CONCEALER Age, and varietys of skin factor in this decision but for me, i know i need a light or a medium shade- it's easy for me to figure out which one i need.  I've never really felt the need to spend a lot on concealer until my acne started.  Now that my redness gets bad, i really like to seal the spots and a lot of the high coverage concealers are sold at department stores and Sephora for a couple extra bucks ;).  I seem to save more of my money on face products than eye products.
I typically end up spending $$$/$$$$$ on concealer.

EYELINER- I have splurged and i have saved.. it really doesn't matter either way with me.  I try to get rid of my eyeliners every few months.. I think Physician's Formula has wonderful eyeliners, but i'm also a MAC and Urban Decay eyeliner fan.  Either way - it's up to you!  All i know is at drug stores eyeliners are about $6-$12 (WHICH I RECOMMEND) and in stores they are $16-$30!.... It's up to you !
I am willing to spend $$/$$$$$ on eyeliner!


EYESHADOW- My answer for this is the same as my blush/bronzers answer.  I love eyeshadows and find that I just buy them wherever i go.  I have spent $2 on eyeshadow and i have spent $30 on eyeshadow, It really depends.  I like venturing out and trying all different shades of neutrals and i also like trying bold, bright, and funky shades.  I love Loreal's eyeshadows which are at drugstores for $5, and i love Urban Decay eyeshadow's which are $24.  I'll spend whatever if the color lures me in.  I love light and shimmery colors for under the eyebrow and in the inner corner of my eyelids, i love doing a color on the crease of my eyelid and then i tend to use a darker shade around the end to create a smoky finish and sometimes i even wing the smoky shadow out.  I use a lot of shadow typically (mostly when i go out) ... I love shopping for eyeshadow!
I am willing to spend $$-$$$$$/$$$$$ on eyeshadows- what a range!

MAKEUP BRUSHES
I LOVE ECO TOOLS WHICH ARE SOLD AT RITE AID AND CVS.  THEY COME IN PACKAGES WITH MULTIPLE BRUSHES AND THE PACKAGES TYPICALLY COME WITH 6-8 BRUSHES FOR ABOUT $15, GO FOR IT! I THINK THEY'RE GREAT!
I LOVE MAC BRUSHES BUT I JUST HAVE A REALLY HARD TIME SPENDING $20 ON A BRUSH.  I'M AN ARTIST, I PAINT AND GO TO ART STORES AND LOOK AT VERY NICE BRUSHES THAT ARE CHEAPER THEN THAT.... I FEEL LIKE I'M RIPPED OFF SPENDING THAT MONEY ON A BRUSH- I BUY ALL MY BRUSHES AT THE DRUG STORE BY ECO TOOLS (WHICH ARE VERY NICE) OR AT THE CRAFT STORE!
I am willing to spend $$/$$$$$ on brushes!




STAYIN NIFTY AND THRIFTY 
LIVE LOVE LAUGH IT'S LAUREN JAYCraft Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment

LAUREN JAY LOVES COMMENTS:

ASPCA

bebe